Sunday, October 24, 2010

//The Path of the Sun//

In August, Emma, Jesse & I packed up the car {again} almost at the spur of the moment. We were headed out west. Since this was my first time out there, I drove along Historic Route 66 most of the time - stopping at almost every old abandoned town. I was kinda dissapointed that I didn't get to see any of the really creepy ghost towns. The ones you see in the movies where a bunch of teenagers roadtrippin break down and walk to this old abandoned town only to find out its inhabited by zombies and vampires. I guess I'll have to find those on my next drive out west. But for now these were pretty gnarly.


{echoes of forgotten voices}


Our first stop was Los Lunas, New Mexico about 30 min south of Albuquerque. We stayed there the weekend with one of my mom's friends. They had met only 3 weeks earlier in Mozambique/South Africa during a 2 week trip there with Georgian & Winnie Banov and Heidi & Rolland Baker. In the picture below are the Manzana (Apple) Mountains. I have yet to figure out why they have that name. The next group of mountains over are the Sandia (Watermelon) Mtn. Someone really liked fruit.


{the view from the house we were staying at}

One night we went out to dinner at a mansion from the 1800's...and since I'm a sucker for old mansions I was thrilled.


We finally made it to our destination. Patricia King's New Media Fest. It was a week long extravaganza for actors, screen writers, directors, producers, ect.

From Arizona, we headed to Apple Valley, CA to chill with some friends we made at the Media Fest. There it is with the fruit again. From there we drove to San Diego where we spent the next month with old and new friends alike. I completely fell in love with San Diego! But I guess it is kinda in my blood since that is where my dad was born and raised.


We stayed with some friends who lived at Pacific Beach. Their place was only a few blocks from the ocean so I was completely spoiled for about 2-3 weeks. It was there I had my 25th birthday in which everyone spoiled me all the more! I spent the days chillin at Pacific Beach, watching the surfers, trying to tan with a freezing cold ocean breeze blowing, hanging out at Balboa Park & the Gas Lamp District and I spent many a day in and out of all the amazing vegan and raw food joints that are bounteous in Cali!! I was pretty much in food heaven.

{Spanish Art Villa - Balboa Park}



{and of course Ron Burgandy was there, staring down at me from an apartment window over a restaurant, downtown SD near the Hillcrest district}



After 2 moths on the road it was time to say goodbye.
So we headed back to the east coast none of us wanting to leave but all knowing we'd be back.

The southwest has stolen our hearts forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment