Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Better a breadcrust shared in love than a slab of prime rib served in hate...





This morning I woke up with the urge to buy gallons of sparkling water to try and drink away this blah sickess I've had for a few days. As I was on my way out the door I felt drawn to this one particular market that I really didn't want to go, but have learned not to ignore the little prodings of the heart, so off I went. When I got to the entrance of the shop there was a homeless man right outside the door, I knew instantly he was why I was drawn there. Only having £5 on me I wasn't sure I'd be able to do much. I ended up getting him some rotissary chicken, freshly baked chocolate crossiants and a massive bottle of mineral water. When I walked over to the man he immidiatly starting talking really fast in Italian, from what I could gather he just started telling me his life story. He was just really excited to have someone treat him with respect, the hot meal was a bonus as well! I stood there for a few minutes, he talked to me in Italian and I answered in Spanish - which seemed like a better option then English, then went on my way.

That experience this morning combined with something my brother said yesterday in reference to Valentines Day just made me want to speak out for a moment on behalf of people who hardly ever have a voice.

"Love everyone, not just the people close to you. Try buying a box of chocolates for a homeless person or something, you have no idea how much that will impact their life!~"
-Chad

I, myself have never been straight up homeless; but I have spent more then a few nights sleeping in the car (in 20* weather) no other place to stay, only wanting a hot meal and a hot shower but not having the means to get one. And I have spent a night or two on the streets. I do understand to an extremely small degree what homeless people go through every day.

There is no reason to avoid them like the plague. All I ask is that every once in a while put yourselves in their shoes. If you were sitting outside in the cold with no money to buy anything, hadn't eaten eaten in days and someone bought you a hot meal how stoked would you be? Next time you're going into the supermarket and you see someone sitting outside who pulls on your heart, just ask if there is anything they need? Most of us are blessed beyond belief and can spare eating our favorite meal that night to get someone who has a legit need something they need and might not have the money to get for weeks.

Not everyone on the streets has the backstory most of us assume they have. On one trip to Panama City Beach, FL; Jesse and I met a guy sitting in front of Walmart and we really felt compassion for him and took him shopping then out to dinner. Over the course of the next few hours he told us his story. He worked for the Department of Defense for several years, he was an extremely intelligent man. Him and his (ex) fiance took a trip to Panama City for vacation. She ended up taking off with his car, ridiculoulsy expensive hi-tech laptop, money, everything. 3 months later is when we ran into him. I meet an Iranian woman in Hunstville, AL who came over from Iran, hit a rough spot and all of a sudden she found herself with no where to go except the streets because she knew no one.
When I see men or women in the streets I see the people I love in them. If my mom or dad somehow ended up in the streets and for some reason I wasn't around to take them in, how would I want people to treat them? I definitely wouldn't want people spitting on them or making fun.

One thought that runs through my mind quite possibly at least once a day is something said by Yeshua

The merciful will be shown mercy

I want to sow mercy into the lives of others so that one day when I need it I will reap the harvest of mercy I have sown.

Anyway, I hope maybe this will stir compassion in your hearts for some of the strangers in our everyday life. I love you all!
do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers. be ready with a meal or a bed when it is needed. some have even extended hospitality to angels without ever knowing it!
-hebrews 13:2-

2 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful reflection of Jesus...i love what HE has done with your willing heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi how are you guys doing? It's gone quiet! Are you still in London? If at any time you feel like visiting North Wales (5-6hrs from London), then let us know, we'll put you up. Steve & Jo Griffiths.

    ReplyDelete